Kyle Busch, legendary NASCAR driver, dies at 41

Date:



Legendary NASCAR driver Kyle Busch has died, NASCAR confirmed Thursday. He was 41.”We are saddened and heartbroken to share the news of the passing of Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup champion and one of our sport’s greatest and fiercest drivers,” the statement read.No cause of death was given.Video above: Kyle Busch honored during Game 1 of NHL Conference Finals between Canes and CanadiensBusch’s family, earlier Thursday, announced that the two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion had been hospitalized with a severe illness and wouldn’t compete at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend. His family posted the medical update on social media and said he was undergoing treatment. The Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR released a joint statement later Thursday after Busch’s passing.”Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation,” the statement said, in part. “He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.”The statement added that “further updates will be shared as appropriate.”Busch is survived by his wife, Samantha, and his children, Brexton and Lennix.Related video below: Inside Kyle Busch’s wild 2023 Talladega victory, one of the final signature wins of his careerDuring a Cup Series race on May 10 at Watkins Glen, Busch radioed in to his crew requesting medical aid from Dr. Bill Heisel and a “shot” after the race. According to the TV broadcast, Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold that was exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the Upstate New York road course.Busch continued to race and finished eighth.Busch competed at Dover last weekend and won the Trucks Series race for Spire Motorsports. He then finished 17th at the NASCAR All-Star race, his final race.Busch ranks 24th in the Cup Series standings, with two top-10 finishes in 12 races this season. The 41-year-old driver and Las Vegas native won championships in 2015 and 2019. Busch is in his fourth season at Richard Childress Racing after winning titles with Joe Gibbs Racing.His last win came in 2023, his first with RCR.A polarizing figure known as “Rowdy” and “Wild Thing” for his post-race fights, regular feuds with other drivers and sometimes outlandish behavior, the multi-talented Busch stormed on the Cup Series scene in 2005 by winning Rookie of the Year.He went on to win championships in 2015 and 2019 for Joe Gibbs Racing.“His impact on our organization and on the sport of NASCAR will never be forgotten,” the team said in a statement.From Las Vegas, Busch experienced unrivaled success across NASCAR’s three national series winning a combined 234 Cup, O’Reilly Auto Parts and Trucks Series races. He had 63 Cup victories along with 102 O’Reilly Auto Parts wins and 69 Trucks victories — both records.Busch was fired early in his career by Hendrick Motorsports to make room on the team for Dale Earnhardt Jr.“Kyle and I had a really challenging existence for many years,” Earnhardt said in a statement. “But we luckily took the time to figure out our differences and that was something he instigated with a conversation in his bus around how we each managed our racing teams. I was super eager for us to get on better terms. But it was he who made the effort for that to be possible.”Busch moved on to Joe Gibbs Racing where he experienced the vast majority of career success. But Busch was let go when there was no sponsor after the 2022 season and joined Richard Childress Racing, where had struggled to win races.His lack of success led to a recent spat with former JGR teammate Hamlin, who appeared to criticize Busch on the “Actions Detrimental” podcast. Hamlin said, “If you’re expecting Kyle Busch to just go back to victory lane on a regular basis, you are kidding yourselves.”While Hamlin later said he meant no harm by the comments and was just making an observation, Busch took exception and said he could make Hamlin’s life “hell” on the racetrack.While several laps down at last month’s race at Kansas, Busch raced Hamlin hard instead of allowing the race leader to pass. That decision held up Hamlin during a crucial stage of the race and Tyler Reddick won the race after Hamlin faded late.After winning the Trucks race at Dover last week and showing an uptick in speed, Busch seemed to make a veiled jab at Hamlin, saying “I guess I just remembered how to drive.”After earning his win at Dover, Busch was asked how many races he wanted to win in his career.“You take whatever you can get, man,” Busch said. “You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all — trust me.”Busch’s unexpected death is just the latest tragedy to hit NASCAR. Last December, former driver Greg Biffle, his wife and two children and three others died in a plane crash in Statesville, North Carolina.The announcement of Busch’s death came after teams had already left Gasoline Alley on media day at the Indianapolis 500. As word spread on Main Street in Speedway, Indiana, just a short walk from Indianapolis Motor Speedway, race fans — IndyCar and NASCAR — were saddened.NASCAR officials confirmed to The Associated Press the Coca-Cola 600 will go on as planned Sunday.Drivers are expected to begin making their way to Charlotte Motorsports Speedway in Concord on Friday with practice and qualifying beginning on Saturday. Earlier in the day, RCR had announced that Austin Hill would replace Busch in the No. 8 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Legendary NASCAR driver Kyle Busch has died, NASCAR confirmed Thursday. He was 41.

“We are saddened and heartbroken to share the news of the passing of Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup champion and one of our sport’s greatest and fiercest drivers,” the statement read.

No cause of death was given.

Video above: Kyle Busch honored during Game 1 of NHL Conference Finals between Canes and Canadiens

Busch’s family, earlier Thursday, announced that the two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion had been hospitalized with a severe illness and wouldn’t compete at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend. His family posted the medical update on social media and said he was undergoing treatment.

The Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR released a joint statement later Thursday after Busch’s passing.

“Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation,” the statement said, in part. “He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.”

The statement added that “further updates will be shared as appropriate.”

Busch is survived by his wife, Samantha, and his children, Brexton and Lennix.

Related video below: Inside Kyle Busch’s wild 2023 Talladega victory, one of the final signature wins of his career

During a Cup Series race on May 10 at Watkins Glen, Busch radioed in to his crew requesting medical aid from Dr. Bill Heisel and a “shot” after the race. According to the TV broadcast, Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold that was exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the Upstate New York road course.

Busch continued to race and finished eighth.

Busch competed at Dover last weekend and won the Trucks Series race for Spire Motorsports. He then finished 17th at the NASCAR All-Star race, his final race.

Busch ranks 24th in the Cup Series standings, with two top-10 finishes in 12 races this season. The 41-year-old driver and Las Vegas native won championships in 2015 and 2019. Busch is in his fourth season at Richard Childress Racing after winning titles with Joe Gibbs Racing.

His last win came in 2023, his first with RCR.

A polarizing figure known as “Rowdy” and “Wild Thing” for his post-race fights, regular feuds with other drivers and sometimes outlandish behavior, the multi-talented Busch stormed on the Cup Series scene in 2005 by winning Rookie of the Year.

He went on to win championships in 2015 and 2019 for Joe Gibbs Racing.

“His impact on our organization and on the sport of NASCAR will never be forgotten,” the team said in a statement.

From Las Vegas, Busch experienced unrivaled success across NASCAR’s three national series winning a combined 234 Cup, O’Reilly Auto Parts and Trucks Series races. He had 63 Cup victories along with 102 O’Reilly Auto Parts wins and 69 Trucks victories — both records.

Busch was fired early in his career by Hendrick Motorsports to make room on the team for Dale Earnhardt Jr.

“Kyle and I had a really challenging existence for many years,” Earnhardt said in a statement. “But we luckily took the time to figure out our differences and that was something he instigated with a conversation in his bus around how we each managed our racing teams. I was super eager for us to get on better terms. But it was he who made the effort for that to be possible.”

Busch moved on to Joe Gibbs Racing where he experienced the vast majority of career success. But Busch was let go when there was no sponsor after the 2022 season and joined Richard Childress Racing, where had struggled to win races.

His lack of success led to a recent spat with former JGR teammate Hamlin, who appeared to criticize Busch on the “Actions Detrimental” podcast. Hamlin said, “If you’re expecting Kyle Busch to just go back to victory lane on a regular basis, you are kidding yourselves.”

While Hamlin later said he meant no harm by the comments and was just making an observation, Busch took exception and said he could make Hamlin’s life “hell” on the racetrack.

While several laps down at last month’s race at Kansas, Busch raced Hamlin hard instead of allowing the race leader to pass. That decision held up Hamlin during a crucial stage of the race and Tyler Reddick won the race after Hamlin faded late.

After winning the Trucks race at Dover last week and showing an uptick in speed, Busch seemed to make a veiled jab at Hamlin, saying “I guess I just remembered how to drive.”

After earning his win at Dover, Busch was asked how many races he wanted to win in his career.

“You take whatever you can get, man,” Busch said. “You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all — trust me.”

Busch’s unexpected death is just the latest tragedy to hit NASCAR. Last December, former driver Greg Biffle, his wife and two children and three others died in a plane crash in Statesville, North Carolina.

The announcement of Busch’s death came after teams had already left Gasoline Alley on media day at the Indianapolis 500. As word spread on Main Street in Speedway, Indiana, just a short walk from Indianapolis Motor Speedway, race fans — IndyCar and NASCAR — were saddened.

NASCAR officials confirmed to The Associated Press the Coca-Cola 600 will go on as planned Sunday.

Drivers are expected to begin making their way to Charlotte Motorsports Speedway in Concord on Friday with practice and qualifying beginning on Saturday. Earlier in the day, RCR had announced that Austin Hill would replace Busch in the No. 8 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.



Source link

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

1-800-Flowers Moves To Invest In Its Brand After Overrelying On ‘Buying Clicks’

The floral-and-gift delivery company wants to strengthen its brand...

Giants, GM Joe Schoen agree to multiyear extension

Jordan RaananMay 21, 2026, 07:01 PM ETCloseJordan Raanan covers...

NATO allies bewildered by Trump’s about face on US troop moves in Europe

HELSINGBORG, Sweden -- NATO allies and defense officials expressed...

New tour ride in Albuquerque showcases Route 66 art murals and history

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – It's a wild ride that...