Trump says ISIS second-in-command killed in Africa

Date:


President Donald Trump late Friday said that a top Islamic State group commander has been killed in Africa in a joint operation with Nigeria’s armed forces.

Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the second-in-command of the militant group, was killed, Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

“Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission,” Trump said.

The Islamic State group, also known as ISIS, has wreaked havoc in Iraq, Syria and other parts of the world where supporters have carried out terror attacks.

Its elusive leader, Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, was killed in 2019.

Abu Hafs al Qurayshi was named leader of the group in August 2023, the U.S. Congressional Research Service said in a report.

In 2023 the U.S. State Department designated al-Minuki as a “specially designated global terrorist,” which imposes sanctions on any property in the U.S. and restricts transactions.

While the Islamic State suffered military setbacks and the loss of a stronghold in Syria, last year’s annual U.S. threat assessment said it “remains the world’s largest Islamic terrorist organization.”

In 2024, a spokesman for the group “publicly hailed the group’s Africa expansion,” the report said.



Source link

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Hayden Panettiere: A Timeline of Tragedy + Troubles

Hayden Panettiere's death at age 36 came after a...

Paramount Wants States, Writers Challenging Warner Deal to Post $1.88 Billion Bond

The company says the litigants who sued to stop...

Group of 6 betting preview: How to bet Hawai’i, James Madison, Liberty and more

Aug 17, 2026, 02:40 PM ETOver the past week,...

Send Steve Kornacki your questions about this week’s Florida primaries and more

Tuesday will bring primary elections in Florida, Alaska, Wyoming...